Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book or ebook?

Book or ebook? I have asked this question many times, not just to myself, but to lots of other people.  I love to read and always have so I have more books than I know what to do with, but I always want more! There is just something about the way a new book feels in your hands.  I am not a book snob, I like them new, but I do check books out from the library.  The problem with the library is that there is always a waiting list for the books that I want and I have no patience for that.  My checking account isn't big enough for my book addiction.  This is a problem, what do I do about it!  I also check out ebooks from my local library, but I have to read them on my laptop or smart phone and that is not always the easiest or most convenient thing to do. 

About two summers ago a friend suggested that I follow a page on Facebook because they would have links for free Kindle books as well as coupons, but what I really love is a free book. I also follow  I have a Kindle app for my home computer, smartphone and ipod touch.  Once I started getting the free books I realized that there were more free books than what I was seeing links for through this website and others .  Before I knew it I had quite a collection of free kindle books through Amazon, and all this without even having a Kindle.  Then I began to think that a Kindle sounded really cool, but that it wouldn't be cool to have books that I couldn't share.  Well wouldn't you know that now you can lend Kindle books.

Now let me make this perfectly clear I love a new book, especially a hardback book with a dust jacket, but I am running out of space to store books.  I also was having problems locating some of the books I wanted locally.  It's just too easy to get online and order a book that will be delivered to you electronically. So for Christmas this year I asked for a Kindle and I have loved my decision.  It was not a decision I came to quickly, I weighed many options.  There was Kindle v. Nook, or e reader v. tablet computer.  What on earth do you pick? This is how I decided.

After reading books on my smart phone, both Kindle books and epub books, I knew I wanted a screen on my fancy device that would allow me to read outside.  My smartphone was hard to read when I sat in carline or while outside.  I needed the screen to look like a book. This knocked out tablets because of the glare, besides I can do all that other stuff on my laptop or smartphone.  The decision of Kindle v. Nook was simple. To me, Amazon's site is easier to navigate and the categories are more specific allowing me to find the subcategory that I wanted with ease. I want to be able to find books that appeal to me quickly without having to sift through titles that were inappropriate.  So I decided that I wanted a Kindle and left all the technical details to my husband, it did however have to have a screen that look like a book page.

Why do I love my kindle? I love having lots of books at hand in such a little space.  It fits in my purse and goes with me everywhere.  I keep multiple books on it so I have something in case I finish my current book.  Who can beat having a book delivered to you the instant that it releases?  Now I did get frustrated when I had been waiting on a book release and it was available to ship as well in the store two whole days before the Kindle book, ugh!  I like that the Kindle saves my place.  How many times have my kids removed my bookmark?  I like that I can highlight a word and see the definition right then and there.  I do have the need to look up definitions sometimes even though I use such a large vocabulary everyday with my kids and while teaching preschoolers.  I like that I don't have to go anywhere to buy a book. I love that I can change the font size so I can read with or without my glasses or contacts.  My vision is so bad that I have hold a book right up under my nose to read it, who knows what will happen when my close up vision starts going downhill.  I like that there are so many free kindle books!  Can you tell that I love my Kindle?

What I don't like...  I don't like that there isn't a light, but that was solved fast enough with a clip on book light.  I bought the book light for around $10 at BAM and it works great.  Shh.. don't tell them I use it with my Kindle.  I also can't read all of the books I check out from the local library, some I still have to use Overdrive for, which is fine, but not the same. 

So for now it is Kindle for me, its just too easy.  I do still buy books though because sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes you just can't resist and of course you need to have a place for an author to sign their work.  I say that like I have more than four authors autographs.

These are just a few a the books I have gotten for free for Kindle that I am most happy about four of them are by authors I discovered before getting the Kindle book for free, but most of them I found through free Kindle books.  These are all great authors!  I should say that if these authors have multiple books published, I have read most of their other books as a result of my find.  I have about 170 Kindle books and paid for less than 20 of them.  I am quite proud of my little collection!

1. Paper Roses by Amanda Cabot
2. The Frontiersman's Daughter by Laura Frantz
3.  Maid to Match by Deanne Gist
4. The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund
5. Stealing Jake by Pam Hillman
6. The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen
7. No Place for a Lady by Maggie Brendan
8. A Hope Undaunted by Julie Lessman
9. She Walks In Beauty by Siri Mitchell
10. Daughter of Joy by Kathleen Morgan
11. Surrender the Heart by MaryLu Tyndall
12. A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer

1 comment:

  1. I still like regular books over ebooks, but I do enjoy the ease of ebooks. I have the kindle app on my iPod so I read them there. I LOVE finding the free ones and as of this moment I have 160 books and have only spent $4, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete