Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Something Everybody Should Read - Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers





Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is a book that everybody should read.  When my oldest son was very little and I was just getting back into reading alot and had yet to really immerse myself in Christian fiction I had alot of people tell me that this was their favorite book.  I began to read alot and had some friends show me where to start in reading Christian fiction and this book kept coming up.  My friends were amazed that I had never read this book and all said it was the best book they had ever read and were amazed that I knew nothing about it.  I tried to borrow it, but everybody seemed to have already shared the book with another friend.  One day I just bought it off of ebay to see what all the hype was about.  Oh my goodness!  The hype was for real!  This book was unlike any Christian fiction I had read, but really unlike any book I had ever read.  This is not your sweet Christian fiction book with perfect characters and perfect story lines full of sappy perfection.  This book is powerful and thought provoking and hard to read at times.

The book takes place in California during the Gold Rush of 1850.  It is about Angel, who is sold into prostitution as a child, and Michael Hosea, who is a Christian man, that feels God has told him to marry Angel.  The description of the characters already tells you that this book is going to be different and it is.  The first few chapters are hard to read, but necessary for the book.  The story is painful and beautiful.  You have to read it to decide for yourself.  I mean really read it.  You will either love it or hate it, and most people love it.  I really don't think there is any in between.  I insisted that my sister read the book so I gave it to her.  She kept it for a while and I know she never read all of it because her words were "it was ok".  Try it if you haven't read it, but you have to read all of it.  This is one of those books that I read over and over.  I have read alot of Francine Rivers books and am always pleased.

 I got to meet Francine and have her sign my copy of Her Daughter's Dream in 2010.  Super fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment